The John Golden Theatre was originally built in 1927 as the Theatre Masque by real-estate magnates, the Chanin Brothers, as part of a three-theatre complex that also included the Royale (a mid-sized house) and the Majestic (a large house). The Theatre Masque, the most intimate of the three, was designed for serious dramas. In 1930, the Chanins transferred ownership of all three venues to the Shuberts. In 1937, when John Golden assumed its management, he renamed it after himself, the third playhouse to bear his name. The Shuberts took back control of the theatre in 1946, turning it into a film house for two years before restoring it to legitimacy in the late 1940s.
The Chanins hired the Shuberts’ favorite architect, Herbert J. Krapp, to design their three-theatre complex. The Golden’s interior has a Spanish influence, an example of the Mission Revival style popular on the West Coast. Interior features include rough plaster walls, wrought iron fixtures, spiraled columns, and ceiling arches.
Theatre is not completely wheelchair accessible. There are no steps into the theatre (where there are steps we are unable to provide assistance).
Accessibility by Seating Section
Orchestra: Seating is accessible to all parts of the orchestra without steps. Wheelchair seating is in the orchestra only.
Mezzanine: Located on the second level, up three flights of stairs, 28 steps. Once on the Mezzanine level there are approximately 2 steps per row. Entrance to the Mezzanine is behind row D.
Handrails: Available at the end of every stepped seat row in the Mezzanine.
Located in the lower lounge. Accessible at 54", with TTY utility outlet and shelf.
Not wheelchair accessible. Restrooms located down 2 flights of steps (down 19 steps to lower level.) Wheelchair accessible restrooms located in the Schoenfeld Theatre.
Located in the lower lobby.