The Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre (formerly the Royale) was originally built in 1927 by real-estate magnates, the Chanin Brothers, as part of a three-theatre complex that also included the Majestic (a large musical house) and the Theatre Masque, now the John Golden (a small house). The three theatres enabled producers to move shows based on their ticket sales to the most appropriately-sized venue. In 1930, the Chanins transferred ownership of all three houses to the Shuberts. During the Depression, control of the Jacobs passed to John Golden, who renamed the theatre after himself and ran it from 1934 to 1936. The Shuberts regained control in 1936, restored its name to Royale, and leased it to CBS as a radio studio until 1940. It was renamed the Bernard B. Jacobs in 2005 to honor the president of the Shubert Organization from 1972 - 1996.
Herbert J. Krapp designed the Jacobs and the other theatres in this complex under the unifying theme of “modern Spanish style.” The theatre's interior features a groin-vaulted ceiling supported on either side by archways decorated with two murals entitled "Lovers of Spain," by Willy Pogany.
Spotlight on Broadway: Bernard Jacobs Theatre from Spotlight on Broadway on Vimeo.
Details on the Bernard B Jacobs Theatre's Accessibility
Theatre is not completely wheelchair accessible.
Accessibility by Seating Section
Orchestra Location: Seating is accessible to all parts of the Orchestra without steps. There are no steps to the designated wheelchair seating location.
Mezzanine Location: Located on the Second Level, up 3 short flights of stairs (29 steps). Once on the Mezzanine Level there are approximately 2 steps up/down per row.
Handrails: Available at the end of every stepped seat row in the Mezzanine.
Located in the lobby. Accessible at 54".
Wheelchair accessible (unisex) restroom located on the Orchesta level.
Located in restrooms.